Imperial Command of the Raccoon General

Thoughts and Memoirs of a Ring-tailed and Masked Dominator of the World

My Photo
Name:

General of the mighty Raccoon Army

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Oldest Dream

I had a realization.

I wrote of freedom, and how it is now misused. True enough but my focus now shifts, to what freedom was, and what it means to me now.

Freedom was a dream.

It was a dream, a great hope by people who dared to imagine something better than what is, and to fight to make it true. It was the great vision, it was the glorious call. While it is sad to see what some reduce the call to these days, I think it's equally important to realize what freedom meant, what it once stood for, and what it means to each of us.

I live in a democratic country. I live in a place where governments do not impose heavy restrictions upon me. I have the right to vote (though I haven't done so) and thus elect leaders, and I have the rights to certain priviledges like speech, music, entertainment and such, to an extent.

Do I have freedom?

Once, long ago, freedom was simply meant as the rights to live as one pleases. A vague description, I'm sure, but one that is still largely accurate enough, provided it does not violate the rights of others I assume. And once long ago, democracy was not the rights to vote for a leader, but the rights of citizens to vote for a decision. They did not elect people to make choices for them, but rather the actual voting is the decision making itself.

I do not vote because I don't know who to vote for. For me the choices are either bad... or worse. I do not live as my please, because underlying all things in life, there are needs that has to be taken care of, financial and like wise. Therefore I cannot go when and where I please, nor can I object when something is asked of me. Not by the government or the state of course, but for the people I work for.

MY daily life is in fact dictated not by myself, but by others.

I am not free.

Like many in history, we are bound. The surface of it differs from age to age, but all the same we are bound, not free.

"Live believing, Dreams are for weaving, Wonders are waiting to start..
Live your story, Faith, hope & glory, Hold to the truth in your heart.."

That's quoted from a song, in a movie most of us watched...some time ago. Probably when we were still children, some of us at least. The singer is Diana Ross, the song is If We Hold On Together, for the soundtrack of the animated feature, The Land Before Time.

I believe I have a dream, and I always had it. I was always though too fearful to lose it. It was hope, for which we hold dear, but fear letting it out lest we lose it. We cheerish its thought, but fear it cast down in the face of contemporary cold logic.

I dream to be free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home