Imperial Command of the Raccoon General

Thoughts and Memoirs of a Ring-tailed and Masked Dominator of the World

My Photo
Name:

General of the mighty Raccoon Army

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Animator on Animation.... finally

Hi, I am a raccoon and a 2D animator.

Though I am an animator for over two years, working in a country (Malaysia) that strives to push the industry to higher, intermational standards, I have never really commented much on the said industry, mainly because I had other focus and aspirations aside animation. Today though, I've had the opportunity to discuss and talk about animation with my mentor and animation director, who has over 13 years of experience doing animation jobs from clients local and abroad. So I'll indulge part of my 'lessons' and findings for the day.

It came about when I curiously stumbled myself into some reknowned local animation work that is to say the least, one of the more talked about ones. I'll mention no specifics, and I'll verify nothing on the way of identity, so speculate all you want, I won't divulge more than what I am putting here.

To be perfectly honest, the makers of the work were never high on my list, not because they're not skillfull (they're quite good) but rather because it's a personal discomfort I have towards a few of their ways that I will not elaborate further.

Now these people have some hype and recognition, locally and at least in the region, perhaps. Regardless of personal opinions, I felt that they have achieved quite a great thing there with their work. Nationalistic sentiments made me feel proud of such achievements even though I am not at all related to the work itself. But I was curious to know what some of the other veterans and collegues with me would think. That, and the fact that after reviewing part of the work, there was something that felt a little bit...off. I couldn't place it so I deferred to my director's expert testimony on the matter.

He took one look and he knew it already.

It was in the design elements mostly. In short hand, he stated that the design was not mature enough, compared to what is out there, especially for the level of work these people are aiming for. Mature here refers not to an M rating suitable for viewers 18 and above, but rather the fact that he said the designs were 'half done'. It seemed to him not a question of whether or not there was room for improvements; it should have been improved regardless, the designs felt uncompleted.

He also mentioned that some of the designs were also not suited for the general requirements of the scenes and the like. I wasn't too sure what exactly was needed, but this largely for the secondary elements.

What I missed totally was the aspect of animation. I thought it was good, but my director was not satisfied with it. Simply put, while he applauds them for trying, it did not impress him. I wondered what would really impress this veteran of 13 years in the industry. I mean, 13 years is good compared to my own measly 2 years plus, but in the big picture, even he was quite young. If a person of 13 year experience was not satisfied, what would one of 20 or 30 years would say? Anyhow, I am both honored and quite literally, a little scared to be under his wing.

That aside, he questioned the matter of management, which while we have no definite point of reference to comment, he did say that many studios past closed down despite good quality works, recognition and healthy supply of sponsors, because the management was not solid. Maybe he is old school, but he believed that one in the industry needs to start at the bottom, management side and creative side alike. It didn't sit well with him that these people jumped up too high so soon. Relevant experience was lacking, especially if very trying challenges arise, and the scary part was that he said he's seen it all before. He merely noted that these people have to be careful.

I am not sure, maybe he doesn't see any veterans in that group of people, or maybe he really has seen it all repeat over and over. But what I do know is that in my 2 years, most of what he says regarding the industry was correct and proved right.

It makes me glad to be here, where I am now, to stand amongst seasoned people far more experienced than I am, for I know I will have lots to learn and will never be content to stay at my level of quality.

In summary, I still think we should be proud of our achievements, and the country has reason to be proud of those who achieved it. But such pride must be tempered with humility, and in such environment, humility can come from looking up to those whose wisdom has flourished in the field over the years. I thus feel that to find yourself the top most with no one else to look up to a scary prospect, for we are then ever more vulnerable to be simply content with what we have and not look for more.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Action speaks louder than words. Consider the vet in the squeaky old chair or the young one out alone in the scary world.

9:54:00 AM  
Blogger nizam. said...

Alah cakap jelah GENG. Apa nak sembunyi sembunyi. Kalau nak telus, biar betul betul tulus. Jangan beat around the bush. - Nizam, Director GENG

10:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aku search mustang mama kat youtube, linked to upin ipin pulak. zZZzzz...

10:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well-written depth/take, sir Raccoon. It would be nice to study under your director's wing - I could learn a lot from this guy. Does he have a site of his own?

2:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home