Imperial Command of the Raccoon General

Thoughts and Memoirs of a Ring-tailed and Masked Dominator of the World

My Photo
Name:

General of the mighty Raccoon Army

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Appreciation for the People I Know

I had a revelation of sorts.

Many times now, I have attended functions and the like that encourage a positive outlook on life, and whilst that is beneficial, I will share intimate details on the matter of these functions personally, and not here.

In some of the... agendas we had there was related to the matter of appreciation and acceptance. Like many around us I suppose, I took the lesson as expected, like a classroom session, to be logged into my list of "useful things to know in life" but never really reviewd upon later. At least that is how it was initially.

Not until recently, barely few days ago, that I come realize, how much I had taken for granted the things I have and the friends I keep, for good or ill. I realized most of all that in both ways of the relationships, we sometimes never knew what the take we have for each other. Why is she my friend? And why am I her friend? Crucial to this I must point out that I'm not here to accuse any of my friends that they're keeping me around for the wrong reasons, or waiting to make use of me simply as a tool.

I understand simply that many would be well enough to be, and remain, a friend to you, but the way they express it, and their own personal idea of what that is greatly differs. I think it is foremost that one recognizes what others see in you, as much as what you see in them; after all we wish to avoid having negative assumptions on them. Friends are hard enough to get and harder still to maintain. The fact that some are willing to stay with us, for however their reasons might be viewed upon, is something we must take with the utmost care.

The second step to that is the fact that I think we do not acknowledge enough on how others mean to us. I don't know, maybe for guys such admittance ruins the 'macho' and cool image we would like of ourselves, and maybe even some girls are starting to subscribe to such thinking. There was a time where it's common, I suppose, for girls to be very vocal on emotional matters, but these days I've seen alarming number of them showing signs of 'acted' disdain for any talk of emotinally related matters. This is unfortunate really. I like strong women and I've said that many times over in this blog, but I don't equate a strength in character to be of cold in heart.

I don't know. Maybe it's just my view.

But what I do know is that day after day, we talk to friends. We tell them things, the latest happenings, and we ask them in turn for their version of it. We ask them for help, as much as they asked us for help. But in all that how many times have we made clear how much they mean to us? There was a saying that action speaks louder than words. I am here to refute that. I believe, there words are no subsitute for action, but then action is not a substitute for words either. You need both. If God didn't intend for you to hear words, he would have given us eyes and limbs only, and no ears to hear words from others, nor the capacity to voice out those words.

If you have a spouse, or girlfriend or boyfriend and the like, (and call me a dick for reverting to somewhat of a sterotype in this example, and a gender based stereotype at that! :P but it is just that... an example, theoretical...) I think that for most guys, its not enough that you show your appreciation. You should tell her of it as well. I don't think a few nice words can do much harm to one's self image, in fact it might be better for it. Similiarly, for a lot of girls I noticed, don't just tell him how you feel. I personally feel that those words, reinforced with some action and show of appreciation can go a long, long way.

I'm not with anyone. So it might not be my place to say. Or you might think it's not worth hearing from the likes of me. In which case, theres typically a little X button you can use at the top right of the window....

But still... I do have friends. Real friends. And I feel it's worth noting how much I appreciate them, and how wonderful they all are; for all their misgivings, flaws and the little annoying things they do to me. Yes, some of you annoy me to some point. But I'm growing to accept that for the lot of you. And it's still worth saying. I did this (really I did!:P) during one night. I recalled of my good friend, and for no other reason than the mere thought of it, I sms-ed the friend, and after some few choice introductory words, I told her that she is wonderful, and may she always be herself.

Just that. Out of the blue, you might say.

I got a positive reply. And I can't tell you how good it is to have made the day brighter for a friend. Perhaps I'm being idealistic, or quite the dreamer here, but can you really tell me you don't feel good after making a close friend feel better? So I suppose I'll end by saying it again, to any who stumbles on the page.

You are wonderful.

May you always be you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nanie said...

yay~!!! saya wonderful~!!! thanx bg calendar kucing thn 2008! saya menggunakan ia dgn sebaiknya~!!

12:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home