Imperial Command of the Raccoon General

Thoughts and Memoirs of a Ring-tailed and Masked Dominator of the World

My Photo
Name:

General of the mighty Raccoon Army

Friday, January 16, 2009

What kind of GARBAGE are you watching today?

There is something... wrong...perhaps... with some of us, Malaysians.

I recently watched 2 films (one at the cinema, and the other on TV) that if memory serves, both were films that I hear that the local public dismisses as uninteresting, or boring, or to put it as we Malaysians would, "Tak best!"

A year or more ago, there came out a movie that seemed to place itself alongside the likes of Harry Potter, The Golden Compass and such other movies with features of fantasy and kids; the ingredients of what we would say as a nice family movie. I thought of watching it, but I overheard conversations between some acquaintances that the movie was not nice. I guess it may have also been a result of not having much cash or time that moment, so after hearing that rumor I listed it off my "to-watch" list.

Recently, another movie came out, and an office collegue said that I should watch it, if I like films that aren't too...normal. It was more experimental he said, but warned that when he went, he noticed that almost half the audience left before it was finished. This time around, I was determined to find out for myself, so I went and saw the movie. It was awesome. Funny and full of character. I found myself laughing and enjoying the movie till the very end, but I also noticed that whilst my friend and I were laughing at many points, many in the audience did not seem to laugh along. Either they can and choose to conceal their laughter, or they just didn't get it.

The movie was "the Spirit", an adaptation of Will Eisners graphic novel.

On Astro yesterday, or rather early morning, I stayed up late and watched TV. The Bridge to Terabithia was on, and it just started coincidentally as soon as i switched to the channel. This was the movie I had written off a year or so ago, and so I figured, since there's not much else of stuff to watch that is of my interest, I might as well sit through this one.

Bridge to Terabithia was not another Harry Potter scheme; I would say, referring to kids going through magical fantasy setups as part of real life. Others of these category are like the aforementioned Golden Compass and of course the Narnia movies. Terabithia is not something in line with those after all, so it's false to compare it to those. In the movie, the fantasy elements were all made up as simply a view into the kids' imagination. We clearly were told it wasn't real, but it did made me feel that I really was wishing it was real, despite clearly knowing otherwise.

The story was less about fantasy and more on to themes related to children and growing up, and all the life lessons that I think we as Malaysians would be well to heed. And it wasn't a happily ever after kind of tale. The twist of the story was something that really made me feel sad, so much that I dare admit there were tears. Indeed, there was death. But more than that, I think it also underlines on dealing with death, to cope with losing those dear to us.

Forgive me for talking more on Terabithia than Spirit, as much as I enjoyed the latter, the characters of Bridge to Terabithia was something more akin to my own. The protagonist is a kid, a quiet boy who loves to draw and fantasize. Some who know me well enough can see the connection. He met a girl who later became as close to him as a bestfriend, and she being an outcast too, made them a special pair. These are elements that touch my own life as well. So maybe that's why when the bad news came, I was really struck by it.

The point in the end of watching both movies however was simply... why?

I know people have different tastes and all, but if a majority can find themselves unable to appreciate what seems like an interesting art form, as if they totally don't get it, than I wonder, what kind of garbage have we fed ourselves with here, that we only want to see a certain set of things and neglect the others. Whats worse, if I dare say so, is that stuff the public here would watch are just..sometimes.. downright... rubbish.

P/s- I went to surf the net about reviews on Bridge to Terabithia, and fortunately it seems for the most part, the reviews were good.

1 Comments:

Blogger jam said...

I never watched both of the movies you mentioned too, and yes, people do spread it as a "not good" rating, hmm. When I have time, I will definitely watch 'em!

Oh btw, just curious, do you love Batman movie with Joker last year?

9:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home