Imperial Command of the Raccoon General

Thoughts and Memoirs of a Ring-tailed and Masked Dominator of the World

My Photo
Name:

General of the mighty Raccoon Army

Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Road of Dreams

The great kings of old, Emperors of a bygone age, people who have etched their names in the pages of history; they have long steered the course of man. Most of what is today, is a consequence of their actions. Such was their influence.

I entertained the notion that I could at least be a small bit like such great people. I wanted to be the one that, gently at least, coax people towards a direction of my choosing, but not simply to exploit people of course. I wanted to go into the future with such people, grasping to dreams I striven for, and achieving it... together.

I joke a lot on being immortal; in truth I feel I have less time than others. I make myself out as the greatest, but everyone should know I'm just another person, albeit one with a destiny to achieve. I know not what it maybe, but I have ambitions and dreams.

"I have spread my dreams under your feet, tread softly because you tread on my dreams", my favourite line ever.

Because that simply reflects the reality of it all. I have dreams to aim for but I know it is not one for me to climb to alone. I will need help, I will need companions. And ultimately the dream is about sharing. It is not a singular achievement that once done can be neatly packed off into the history books and that being the end of it. It is a dream with continuity; a torch of my making of which to pass to others. Ultimately, the essence of the dream involves others, and upon others will that vision live...or die.

And I have a habit of not leaving much to chance, luck or any other fickle sentiments. My history, down to every dice roll I threw since I was small, revealed that anything that was left largely to luck, my turn out would be the unlucky one. I never won snake and ladders, because my dice roll was always crappy. In dozens upon dozens of lucky draws I was part of, I won but once, and even then it was second best and I'm thinking largely because everyone else had gotten their share. I gambled and I lost. I planned, meticulously even, and the chances are improved almost implicitly. Thus it is only expected that in pursuing dreams, I plan and prefer a familiar environment around me as I work towards it.

But people change, it is in effect one of the most constant inconsistence of life; that we never stay the same. I feel the same, much like I probably did 10 years ago, but upon closer inspection even I can see differences in my current self over my past self. God only knows how everyone else I knew have changed over the years. There were many in the past that nurtured the dream along with me, but how many have changed and have left the path, pursuing other things in life? I find myself looking at an ever diminishing number of familiar faces on the road of the dream, and I stop to wonder, will I be the only one in the end to bear the torch?

And I wondered, is it supreme arrogance to expect others to bear the torch of the dream all through the way, since it is my dream after all isn't it?

There is a God and He is Just. Sometimes I do overlook things that has been blessed upon me. In the midst of seeing the faces familiar to me dissappear, I forgotten to count the new faces that now walk the road with me. Some of these faces now even carry the torch steadier and higher than those of the old, and for that the light that is the dream has brightened, though with so many others leaving it dimishes as well, making it at a point of equilibrium I suppose.

When you think about that, you have to wonder that though one set of faces had first thought up the dream, will a whole completely different set of faces be walking with me down towards the dream instead? I don't know, but I still nurture the hope that amidst the newer faces, there will still be some old familiar ones to accompany me. I tend to cheerish more of those who has been with me the longest. It would be sad to see them all go.

So I question again, is it supreme arrogance to expect others to bear the torch of the dream all through the way, since it is my dream after all?

Perhaps, but then it was our dream... once.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home