Imperial Command of the Raccoon General

Thoughts and Memoirs of a Ring-tailed and Masked Dominator of the World

My Photo
Name:

General of the mighty Raccoon Army

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

The Things I once wanted... and want now.

Strange that such thoughts were to come on April's Fool day of all the days.

I want Empires: Total War. I want that game. It is THE game for me, so far as I can tell based on the reviews, of which many are mention good things about it. Sadly, I've looked for it recently and it was sold out. Strange that an original game sold out so quickly but I am guessing it must be a good sign in a way because of the reception. The game itself would cost around RM170-180.

I want a new PC. Or rather an upgrade to my current PC. Kat, as I call her, has been sweet these few years but she's showing signs of obsolesence. What she needs is a new processor, a Core i7 which I am hoping is higher than Naz's (I'm still into clock speeds, even though in the advent of multicore processors those aren't the highlight that much anymore) and of course with that, a new motherboard and RAM. Existing components are either good enough or still superb. The estimated cost would be somewhere above RM2,000.

I want a place of my own some day. I'm getting tired of all the hackling and noise I get about keeping the house in order and keeping my stuff in my own place and such. Simply put, with the fact that I have to share rooms and all, the smallest room next to the study, there simply isn't much space. And I hate to keep clean and tidy simply on the whims of someone elses mood. A place of my own, that's cost in hundreds of thousands of bucks.

And oh, yes. I'd like to make a movie of my stories. Now that will simply take MILLIONS!

In fact, the only thing that seems to be affordable enough that I would want these days are books. Novels. Warhammer 40,000 preferably. Most range simple from RM30+ to 60+.

I'm saying all these because I was reminiscing a past, some two decades ago, when the simplest of things, and not necessarily the most costly, would've made me happy enough already. I remember my uncle getting me a small truck toy, and it was the best thing I had in the world then. I remember wanting nothing more than simple strolls in Penang town with my grandparents, riding on trishaws and not some posh automobile. I remember being excited enough to even have those simple free rubber/plastic toys that comes with some local boxed chocolates and the like (I think some people would know these DinDangs and Toras :P). I reckon them to be no more than a buck or so.

Not the least, I recall having fun with relatives and cousins, oblivious to all else in the world.

The most expensive thing I wanted then in fact, was a LEGO boat. The one that can float on water. That was 100+ bucks or so. And I never got it.

These days, these same relatives would concern over financial welfare, responsibilities, on whether we have finished studying, or have gotten a job or will be getting married and all that. So much is on their mind. On our mind. All these things that involve big money, and focusing more on the fact that whether we can or cannot earn such money.

Perhaps I could say that we lost innocence.

The Question I am asking is this: Do we knowingly leave those innocence we once had, secure in the knowledge that such things cannot survive the world, or do we truly thing our later aims and desires are much more fitting and of value than those that had cheered us in the past?

3 Comments:

Blogger Hanie said...

Happy belated birthday!

11:05:00 PM  
Blogger Raccoon General said...

thanks hanie!

9:06:00 AM  
Anonymous ruz said...

I'd think some say we are growing up, or, getting old! Losing things apparently is natural, we'll lose our innocence, lose our faith, and eventually lose everything.

6:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home