Imperial Command of the Raccoon General

Thoughts and Memoirs of a Ring-tailed and Masked Dominator of the World

My Photo
Name:

General of the mighty Raccoon Army

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Journey to Maturity

The world said that yesterday was a momentous day when the Presidency of the most powerful nation on Earth was finally held by an African American. With the promise of change, and with so many hopefuls and support, Barack Obama could very well be the most famous African American on Earth, eclipsing the likes of Muhammad Ali or Michael Jackson (if he still counts).

I have no direct standing towards Mr. Obama, considering he just started his term, it will be a while before we can see how he handles things. I am hoping he could deliver the promise of change, to the world especially, because whether you like America or not, you got to know that being that dominant power in the world, they can affect us all over the globe one way or the other. I would understand if his focus is to fix America first, but nevertheless, I'm sure we all want to see something positive out of his term in the office.

That said, we have loads on our hands to fix in Malaysia as well. And I hope that eventually when our leadership changes, we can get one that can affect change for the country as well, and not simply make another scheme to polarize powers into the hands of the select few.

I have not much else to say, I merely posted because I think that whilst not jumping around or screaming out loud for Obama, I do think it is a momentous event nevertheless. I think some people might think that there's no big deal about it because we're not Americans, so what if they finally have an African American as President. I personally think there are things that matter about it, if not the least the example that the whole deal provides.

I'm not saying we should immediately have a Chinese or Indian PM in Malaysia, though I would not object to that coming in the future. I only think that being from the minority, a lot of people have these precedence to do right by their race if they get into power. It's not all a bad thing, but as leader of a country, the job is to manage everyone in it fairly, and not promote those of your kin only. And I am also without a doubt that there are the people who will aspire to make everyone equally prosper, but handling multi racial issues require delicate touch of wisdom, one I think we all need to mature towards it more. I think non-whites in America have come a long way and their time has come. After all America is over 200 years old.

Malaysia is just over half a century old. I think we are still a young nation with lots of unexplored potential. But like some people I know, rushing into big things too early in our lives makes for a bad character. Somethings we have to go slow and steady and prepare a good foundation for it first before we start reaching for the stars. We should not be too eager to prove ourselves. That's why I can't agree with some of my friends who suggested the lot of us start our own production company. I don't think we're ready. I do think we can make good work, I do think we can be smart and charming enough to secure support or funding, and I do think some of us at least are commited enough to do it. But I do NOT think that some of us have the proper mindset or character to bear such a venture.

With great power comes great responsibility, some would say. I would add my twist to such a saying, with great achievements require great humility. I say that because some of those people I know who are so eager to break free from being employee to being employer are so full of themselves that, metaphorically speaking, to hand them a prize would only give them an image of self infallibility. And whats probably scary to me is that, I think if I were given thus, I would fall for that trap too.

What I am saying is that we need to mature our thoughts. Like Mr Obama's rise, the journey to get there was a long and hard one, with many hard earned wisdoms, that began long before Mr Obama himself was born. That is the kind of journey many among us need, most especially among us Malaysians.

We need to know sadness, before we can fully appreciate happiness.
We need to be poor, to appreciate wealth.

We need to be led, before we can lead.

That's all I'm saying.

And I do hope Mr Barack Obama can bring about the change he promised.

4 Comments:

Blogger jam said...

very nice post, I totally agree. :D if i were to post something about this topic, I think it be pretty similar.

btw do u have any online messenger?

YOU BETTER REMEMBER WHO THE HELL I AM :P

9:10:00 PM  
Blogger jam said...

ops, posting using our indie art group account. this is anna sagara btw hahahaha XD how's life?

9:11:00 PM  
Blogger Mazer Company said...

Comrade, I believe Malaysia is just over half a century, not decade, old. That would give our country just over 5 years of existence instead of 50 years.

Good post.
Mazer

8:36:00 PM  
Blogger Mel Celestial said...

Equality - maybe it could be fixed if we, especially the leaders of every country, are all mixed? Then again, new problems would arise from that (e.g. - class). I can't wait to see how the world is going to spin in Obama's hands. However, I am not so optimistic about where we are; except maybe wait, see, and take care of each other. Good post btw.

2:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home