Imperial Command of the Raccoon General

Thoughts and Memoirs of a Ring-tailed and Masked Dominator of the World

My Photo
Name:

General of the mighty Raccoon Army

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Words

It's getting thick with political matters these days. A friend of mine has written several posts already about the Malaysian Political scene... and he isn't even in the country at the moment. News on the horrors of the middle east has once again been drowned out by headlines on the political going-ons in the country. Just minutes ago, I read a headline about Karpal Singh wanting to sue the Sultan or such.

It's starting to sound like the familiar music we all might have known. Political turmoil, such a mess.

In relations to the theme I noticed and have read from my friend's blog as well, the few words that are so favored and so commonly used, but whether it rings true still, or just another cliche is for each of us to decide of course.

Funny words there are these days. It's not just the political scene sometimes. Other places, daily life, they have it too.

Some of these words or terms are used in international matters, others local, and some are those choice words I hear at my work place.

1. Freedom. I've been here before, so most will know what it means. Or what it's suppose to mean anyways. Nowadays it feels more like "What Americans and their allies wants you to be." Similiarly, democracy is not a system of government where people can vote for the leaders and representatives. It is a form of government that is friendly and compliant with the Americans and their allies. Yes, that's the example I'm seeing.

2. Corruption. Supposedly implying a tainted or misused element within a system. To fight corruption is to make it pure again. Or so we would have it believed. I think it's more like changing who gets the gains from the said corruption. Or "who" would be in place to abuse the system. Yeah! They were stealing money from the treasury! Now that I got rid of them, I stopped corruption. So how much money in the treasury can I take before someone notices?

3. Equality. Equal rights, being fair. No, that's not right. If you look at those who wants "equality" its more of a question of "I want what you have, but I don't want the baggage that comes with it". Ever seen women who complained about wanting the things men get, but never wanting to be treated like shit the way men get? That's one thing. It's simply they having good things for themselves, and now they want our good things too. That's the new equality. Isn't it fair now?

4. Racist. Is it about just simply acknowledging racial issues. Or about treating races in particular a bad way? I think it's the latter. It should be the latter. My logic side of the brain is saying so. But people seem to make it like the former. Which is it? Oh screw that. I *am* a racist. Even to my own race. Take it anyway you want it.

5. Overtime. It's not about working the extra few hours to catch up on schedule, while receiving due overtime pay. That's the past definition. Where have you been? This is the 21st century! Overtime is working your ass off without going home for not a single extra cent! Yeah! That's right... Make the compnay rich! Who cares about you? Nobody cares about, so why'd you have to care about you?

6. Drama; meaning specific mode of fiction represented in performance. The term comes from a Greek word meaning "action" which is derived from "to do". Well, that's Ancient Greek. Modern era Malaysia seems to have drama mean either annoying "makcik" stories with eventual screaming in it, or annoying "boy and girl/man and woman in love" stories with eventual screaming in it, or a mix of such. You'd have to be a sop to admit you like drama. I thought I like to watch drama, but seeing that's what it takes to like drama, what category are some of the shows I watch I wonder?

7. Open minded. Hey I am open minded. Yeah, see? I'm listening to what you're saying. Go on, state your point. Yeah, that's your point, right? Of course, but you're wrong, see? No, shut up, really, you're wrong, my point is right! Your view is silly. Stop being stubborn. Be open minded a bit like me.

8. Religious. God wills it! Hah, can't help saying that line from Kingdom of Heaven. Being religious is about living as people did in the days of the Prophet. The most important thing is to live in medieval conditions, grow a beard, stop the process of thinking and kill infidels and just pray as much as you can throughout life. That seem's to be what some people want, I think. I'm still wondering about where "being kind to others" and being tolerant to people, or the idea that the mind is the greatest gift from God to mankind can fit in all that.

9. Fantasy. What is fantasy? Fantasy is Tolkienisque. Tolkienisque is fantasy. When you make a story, or game, or artwork which is fantasy, be sure to make it medieval setting with tall pointy eared elves in it, or stubby short dwarves that like to dig in the ground. Add magic and wizards and such. You have fantasy? What? You created another kind of fiction, but no elves? No dwarves? or even wizards? No, no, no. That's not fantasy. Of course you fantasized it in your head, but how can it be fantasy when theres no elves in it? Not even one of those pointy eared gay bastards??

We are so creative and innovative today. We are remodelling language. Great eh?

1 Comments:

Blogger Captain Sagara said...

I believe something must have troubled you. Or you're in some mood swing. :P

8:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home