Imperial Command of the Raccoon General

Thoughts and Memoirs of a Ring-tailed and Masked Dominator of the World

My Photo
Name:

General of the mighty Raccoon Army

Thursday, February 19, 2009

On Tracing Papers and the Philosophies of an Artist.

I have a new craze. Well... sort of a craze. Uhm.. actually it's more of a new way of doing things. It's called.... TRACING PAPER!!

I am typically a messy person by nature, and many of my initial drawings are a jumbled up pile of unorganized line strokes. Few of such mess were ever cleaned up and proper line drawn over the sketchy messy ones. As such I leave trails of...doodles. Enter the tracing paper!







With tracing paper it gets easier as I am basically drawing over on a new paper. Sure it still smudges, its an annoying and constant by product of mine, can't help it, but at least the lines are clear enough. That's an Imperial Procyon Assault Trooper concept.

Ok, got that out of my system. But now to share some thoughts I have today.

1. Talent is in regards to learn; and not to do

Anyways, in regards to the above mentioned thing on tracing paper... The idea initially is that I hate to do certain things, and I find ways to make it work, for my preference.

A dear friend of mine asked if me if I thought that she had talent in certain things. I told her yes, she does. (so much that I'd probably hate her for it :P ) But at the same time, I told her I never actually seen her doing said stuff. So how does it go by that I say she is talented? Because I was certain of her base skills that would greatly help in overcoming the learning curve of the new trade. That for me, in a way, is talent. I personally think that come what may, her current skills will enable her to find ways to solve related problems in her own way.

Nobody is born with all skills and knowledge, so I thus think talent is more related with the ability to learn a skill rather than do a skill.

2. Doing things we do not like

Another is that I advocated for doing things that we normally.... do not like.

Many among us artists do only the things we like, and post up only stuff we enjoy. I think versatility counts in this game, and one never knows when such things we hate to do can help contribute to the things we like. I know for a fact I hated doing backgrounds initially, and still do for some parts today. But I recall that my study into architecture and designs and all that helped to better my understanding and expand my ideas on doing characters and starships; my premium choice of things to draw.

We want to be artists after all, not printing machines that churn out the same thing over and over.

3. Being humans and not Gods

Nevertheless, we are still human and we must understand the limits for all of us. You see, I had this collaborative effort in storytelling I am working on, and I have provided some illustrations for it, but upon seeing what other people can do with their personal pet project, I grow very envious. 'THEY CAN DO THAT???,' I would think to myself.

But fortunately a friend told me that I can't expect to do everything for myself, and eventually we will need others to help fill out the things we cannot do for ourselves. That's why we need friends. And I am fortunate, nay... blessed... to actually have a few friends I can truly count on.

4. The cowardice or bravery of letting go.

I read an interesting entry today which is titled on "Quitting". We all heard the phrases and lines about winners never quit and such, but equally we have probably heard somewhere that letting go is often the hardest thing.

I thought on that a bit.

When I was in Inspidea, there was a lot of work, and for over a year I endured, but the work kept increasing. My constant thoughts were of quitting the job. I wanted a job that had more time for myself, true, but the emphasis here was more onto the fact that I hated all this heavy amount of work I had to do. I thought it often but I never quit. I chose not to because I felt a nagging guilt if I would do so.

End of April 2008, I sent my resignation letter, and three months later I was out. I quit! But I was excited, and felt not that much guilt. Why? Because I didn't quit out of hate or spite or escape. I quit because I want to se new horizons. Because I want to learn and experience different kind of things in life. I chose to quit because of the possibility of a bright future, and not because the conditions of a grim present.

Quitting in itself is neutral. Why you do it, now that's the real question.

5. Go for Passion

Do what you like best.

I know I said earlier to do things you don't like, so as to achieve versatility. But it is equally important to do the things you enoy most as well. To keep the spirits up I would say. And sometimes it helps to alternate between the things you like. too much of one thing is tediously boring.

I did 5 concepts of starship designs out of the required 6 for a personal project I mentioned before. By the end of the 5th, I felt drained, despite starships being one of two things I liked to draw the most.

So after that, I spent some time doing the other thing I like most. Which is... this...





I'll just call her Claire. And she likes to handle sticks....


(inside joke- hmm sticks. reminds me of a joke I shared with this one friend.... it went something like... stick it in there or something, she said.. in referring to a bunch of straws for her McD drinks of coz :P)


6. Hug

Everyone likes to be hugged. I have yet to see a person who says he/she absolutely despise hugging. Well, actually that's what I read in a book. It does gives this really good warm fuzzy feeling that somehow can rejuvenates you and makes you feel good about yourself.

Okay, I know... it's a little off topic but....

...as I always exchange this between my best buddy....



...HUGGY BUGGY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home